Sunday, June 21, 2009

no more big chunks

I look at last week and how busy I was, just keeping up with everyone at home, and I feel grateful that I was able to practice as much as I did. A couple of reasons...my wonderfully helpful son Sam was cooking and helping out. The other kids keep Caitlin and Grant entertained. And I followed some advise from the Artist's Way; stop looking for big chunks of time. When I thought about practicing...piano, guitar or singing I just did it, even just a few scales or one song.

I got to the third vibrato CD and found it very helpful. The excerizes aren't fun because vibrato is such a tricky thing...but I can apply them to the arias and they seem to help. I also did a lot of breathing exercizes that I made up myself while doing some similiarly self-made-up yoga positions, pulled a few muscles, but kept up with it. I hope they help! I'd like to be a good breather. Haha.

I've been trying to "coerce" some original material out of myself...not with much success. But today I made some progress on a piece of music I am arranging from a friend's hymn. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. you've inspired me once again... I've been getting lazy with my vocal exercises, but if you can find time to do them I have no excuse! Just in the last couple of minutes I've been exploring my library priveledges as a student of BYU and they have an electronic library where you can get sheet music for vocal exercises! I'm definately going to try some... What are some good vocal technique books you know? I'll see if I can find them in the online library so I can discuss stuff with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mari! What a pleasure to find your comment here on this lonely blog. I thought it was surely too boring to ever have a follower! To be honest I've never had the patience for writtent down vocalizes, because I'm an ear kind of person. But I know that you are much smarter than me. I'm not getting paid to say this (as we all know) I just love the singing success exercizes. check out the website. Its expensive but worth it. Eat at Diego's for us!

    ReplyDelete